Sunday, September 20, 2009

intro....again....

Hey y'all!

My name is Rhon and I'm a PhD student at the ISchool. Prior to U of T, I did my Master's in Cultural Studies and Critical Theory at McMaster University, a Bachelor's in education at Brock University, and my undergraduate honours degree at York University - a double major in English and Communication & Culture. So, one could say that I'm doing a grand tour of a buncha unis in southern Ontario.

The reason I'm doing my PhD is because I have to become a professor/academic/scholar on account of hating everything else, save for music, which I'll get into a bit later. I'm also really hoping not to have to utilize my BEd 'cause that would simply mean that I crapped out with this whole doctoral thing....YIKES!

Holding on tightly to my punk-rock ideology, I despise most everything that is corporate and although the university is becoming more and more commercialized, I still envision it as being one of the last remaining bastions of refuge from the "real world" - which is why you'll find me wandering the hallowed halls (mostly) with a big-ass smile on my face! I simply adore the ivory tower and NEVER wanna leave!!!

My research deals with the effects of media and new technologies on culture. Specifically, I will be conducting a two-year case study at an inner-city school to investigate how the children's online activities help inform their identities. As you can see, this class ties in perfectly with the research that I am undertaking, which is why I'm here. Plus, Rhonda's a pretty chill gal! :)

Previously, I was involved with the Canadian music industry for a number of years performing with a plethora of indie bands. And from that realm, I would have to list playing with the Beastie Boys at a showcase in NYC as one of the highlights of my career.

So, let's do this shizznit up right and have a ball this sem, yo! Booyah!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment